In recent times, a trend in the surge where millennials are looking to invest in the share market. During this decade, a 17-year-old who was investing himself inequity was looking to change the way we invest. In 2010, Zerodha, a platform with zero brokerage for equity trade was launched by Nithin Kamath.
Earlier days, Nithin and his brother Nikhil were not able to provide a tech platform. In 2012, Kailash Nath joined and since then journey to build a discount broking model to change the face of the Indian stock-broking industry began. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, a spike in new customers was noted. He was quoted saying, “its good to see smart investors are buying rather panicking. It’s Unreal”.
They offer flat-fee discount brokerage to trade in equity, commodity, currency and direct mutual funds. The financial company is safe. It is regulated by the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI).
Till date, the ratio of complaints to active users is the least on the exchange amongst all. Operating with zero debt, it is safest, most reliable and trustworthy broker in India.
Zerodha Charges 2020
|Online Trading & Demat Account Opening Charges||₹200|
|Trading Account AMC||₹0|
|Demat Account AMC||₹300 per year|
They offer the lowest fees in the market with web and mobile trading easy to use. The account opening process is quite slow. But the system has a variety of high-quality research tools.
Brokerage Charges 2019
|Trading Segment||Brokerage Charges|
|Equity Delivery||₹0 (Free)|
|Equity Intraday||Flat ₹20 or 0.03% (whichever is lower) per executed order|
|Equity Future||Flat ₹20 or 0.03% (whichever is lower) per executed order|
|Equity Options||Flat ₹20 or 0.03% (whichever is lower) per executed order (on Turnover)|
|Currency Futures||Flat ₹20 or 0.03% (whichever is lower) per executed order|
|Currency Options||Flat ₹20 or 0.03% (whichever is lower) per executed order|
|Commodity||Flat ₹20 or 0.03% (whichever is lower) per executed order|
|Mutual Fund||₹0 (Free Unlimited Direct MF)|
Presently, Zerodha has 1.5 million active users on its platform as of April 2020. Regardless of the low brokerage fee, it is the most technologically advanced stock broker in India. The financial company has its own trading software “Zerodha Kite”. A web and mobile trading app including Coin (MF investment platform), Varsity (investor education program), and many other tools.
|🗺️ Country of regulation||India|
|💰 Trading fees class||Low|
|💰 Inactivity fee charged||No|
|💰 Withdrawal fee amount||$0|
|💰 Minimum deposit||$0|
|🕖 Time to open an account||>3 days|
|💳 Deposit with credit card||Not available|
|👛 Depositing with electronic wallet||Available|
|💱 Number of base currencies supported||1|
|🎮 Demo account provided||No|
|🛍️ Products offered||Stock, ETF, Forex, Fund, Bond, Options, Futures|
The web-based app was built in 2015 by the tech team. The apps are available on iOS and Android. The present time has seen 100 percent growth in concurrent users.
Zerodha Trading Fee
Zerodha charges low fees. Especially for equity delivery, no commission is debited. You can find the information on Zerodha website with easy-to-use fee calculator.
We make a comparison between brokers and the two products. We chose
– Reliance, a large Indian stock
– USDINR, a popular currency pair
We opted to compare the equity delivery trading fee for Reliance and USDINR currency future trading. We choose a $2000 position for stocks and an amount of $20,000 for USDINR.
The outcome is Zerodha operates with low stock and currency future fee.
|Zerodha||Share Khan||Interactive Brokers|
|USDINR benchmark fee||$0.6||$4.0||–|
One should also take into account other fees, like taxes or SEBI charges.
|Securities/Commodities transaction tax||Transaction/Clearing charges||GST||SEBI charges|
|Equity delivery||0.1% on buy and sell||NSE: 0.00325%|
|Equity Intraday||0.025% on sell||NSE: 0.00325%|
|Equity futures||0.01% on sell||NSE: 0.05%|
|18% of the brokerage and transaction charges||INR 10 / crore|
|Currency futures||No STT fee||NSE: 0.0009%|
|Currency options||No STT fee||NSE: 0.0007%|
|Commodity options||0.01% on sell||Ranges between 0.0026% to 0.00005%|
|Commodity futures||0.05% on sell||No fees|
Advantages and Disadvantages
Before opening your account with Zerodha, you must know about the advantages as well as disadvantages. It’s better to know if it suits your investment needs or not.
- Most Popular Broker: With the number of active users and trading volume on the market. It contributes 15% of daily retail trading volumes across NSE, BSE, and MCX.
- Best trading platform with tools: Kite, Console, and Coin
- Equity Delivery Trade free: You use cash and carry, no brokerage need to pay while you buy shares. No leverage on delivery trade. Simple debit and credit with the Demat account ( Buy Shares- Credit; Sell Shares – Debit).
- Cheapest Share Broker in India: They operate with a simple price model and regardless of the trade size, charge 0.01% or ₹20 per executed order.
- Referral Program: Earn 10% brokerage share, on referrals.
- Self-Clearing Broker: They don’t charge customers any clearing charges.
- Pay as you go Brokerage Plans: A model of simply pay-as-you-go brokerage plan. They don’t deal with prepaid brokerage plans.
- Zerodha GTT orders – Set long-standing stop loss and target orders for your stock investments.
- Zerodha Kite 3 mobile – An app for passive investors and active day traders.
- Online IPO Application – Easy to apply for new IPOs (Initial Public Offerings) directly with a Zerodha account.
- No recommendations, stock tips or research reports to follow.
- Unavailable unlimited monthly trading plans.
- Lifetime free AMC Demat accounts not available.
- An additional fee of ₹50 per executed order for Call & Trade.
- Mac and Linux operating systems not supported.
- Even they don’t provide banking services.
- The back office (console) of Zerodha is not integrated with its trading platform. Data is updated every day overnight.
Based on 373 Votes by Zerodha Customers.
Do you trade with Zerodha?